Information Technology and Services
Bachelor of Engineering/Technology: BE/BTech
04 Sep 2020
- REST APIs
- You love great UX. You spend most of your time coding, but you also have an eye for great design and a feel for great UX. Maybe you were once a designer (or still are) or maybe your creative outlet has always been the code. Either way, you care about more than just the code.
- You can balance lots of concerns. Frontend apps have to take into account performance (using networks and devices that we can't control), customer demands, A/B tests, UX research, code quality, a rapidly changing ecosystem of languages and modules, and the list goes on. And we actually want to ship things too! You can balance those demands without getting overwhelmed and keep the needle moving forward.
- You love helping others. You love sharing knowledge with the rest of your team, building shared tooling for other engineers, giving back to the open-source community, and directly helping customers.
- Walmart International is a diverse and fast-growing business unit, so you'll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here are some things you'll probably do:
- - Research, guide, and execute frontend architecture changes, including but by no means limited to GraphQL, server-side React rendering, and Flow typing.
- - Build reusable React components with modular CSS, manage data on the client with Redux and GraphQL, and test everything with Jest.
- - Measure and resolve performance bottlenecks, using tools like Chrome DevTools, Lighthouse, WebPagetest, or custom tooling.
- - Work closely with our product, design, and UX teams to create amazing and intuitive experiences that make it effortless to connect different apps together.
- - Help put tools, processes, and documentation in place to improve our code quality.
- - Review code written by other team members or other teams.
- - Ship to hundreds of thousands of users every day while having lots of autonomy in terms of code and feature ownership.
- - Work with complex and varied data structures (APIs can be a little, uh, eccentric).
- - Help out with our Python backend or Node-based developer platform.
- - Share what you know and learn either one-on-one or with lightning talks to the group.
- - Give back to the community via open source and blog posts.
- - Experiment: this is a startup-like environment so everything can change as we experiment with doing more custom partnership work
- - As a part of Walmart Labs' all-hands philosophy, help customers via support to ensure they have the best experience possible.
- - You'll also have the opportunity to specialize in a variety of areas of the ASDA codebase, including core product or platform development. Focusing on a specialization will not limit your area for growth at Walmart Labs as each engineer brings a unique perspective and can contribute differently in all areas. We encourage participation and will frequently have engineers contribute across teams to assist in projects.